Sunday, April 15, 2007

St. Thomas Sunday

This morning at Providence Baptist Church, I read as a call to worship the following piece written by Providence member Anne Westbrook.


My name is Thomas –
And I was there when they crucified my Lord
I saw Him – hands battered, side pierced,
Body broken and bloody. Dead.

My name is Thomas –
And I was absent on the evening of the third day –
And so- I didn’t hear his Shalom.
I didn’t see his scarred hands, his wounded side.
I didn’t feel the warmth my friends felt
When He breathed on them the Spirit.
When they told me, I didn’t believe He lived.

My name is Thomas –
I am humbled to say my Lord gave me a second chance.
He appeared again - and this time I was there.
I heard his Shalom - Peace be with you.
I felt His gaze.
I heard His voice – “Thomas,” he said,
“Stop doubting. Believe.”
Shaken, I could only cry, “My Lord and my God.”
It was enough. My Lord honored me
By accepting my belief, my poor belated belief.

My name is Thomas.
Hear me, my friends.
Stop doubting.
Believe!

No comments: